EU citizens need no residence permit to live and work in South Tyrol. Anyone who plans to stay in South Tyrol for more than three months, though, must declare a change of residence at the municipal registration office within 20 days of the move. In addition to a new residence address, a tax number and a valid ID, EU citizens are required to supply confirmation of work activity or, in the case of education or training, furnish proof of enrolment at an educational institution. Those who have no employment contract must prove that they have sufficient funds for the duration of their stay and have health insurance that covers their health costs.
Procedures are different for citizens from outside the European Union, depending on the municipality they want to move to (website available in Italian and German).